- You should consult your physician, or other health care professional before starting any fitness program or utilizing any fitness equipment, especially if you experience chest pains, have shortness of breath, or have uncontrolled blood pressure or other uncontrolled chronic diseases.
- STOP exercising immediately if you experience pain, soreness, fatigue, shortness of breath, dizziness, lightheadedness, faintness, blurred vision, headache, nausea, sickness, illness, dehydration, excessive sweating, or any other discomfort. If any of these symptoms persist after you stop exercising, please seek medical help immediately.
- By using any of the equipment or performing any of the exercises, you assume ALL risks of injury from doing so. Rhode Island School of Design, its Board of Trustees, its officers, or its employees are NOT responsible or liable for any injury or loss you may sustain by using the facility, its equipment, or by participating in any exercise programs, this includes loss or damage to personal property.
- Note: not all fitness centers have a monitor. We highly recommend working out with a partner or in small groups.
Appropriate use of the fitness centers on campus:
- Appropriate gym clothes – Shirts, pants/shorts, and shoes must be worn at all times. This Includes clean clothing and athletic shoes. No dress shoes, boots, or sandals.
- You may not utilize any fitness center on campus if you are under the influence of alcohol, or any recreational drugs.
- No minors can use this fitness center unless they are an enrolled RISD academic year student.
Equipment and Proper Use
- Always warm up before beginning any workout and NEVER exercise beyond the level at which you feel uncomfortable.
- Please follow equipment directions carefully and only use the equipment as it was intended to be used. Sanitize equipment after use. Please do not allow the weights or equipment to slam. Residents and guests are responsible for negligent behavior on the equipment. Absolutely no horseplay.
- Do not lean the equipment against the walls.
- No food or beverage allowed in the fitness centers, besides water.
- Please report any faulty or damaged equipment to a staff member immediately by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a picture of the broken machine with a description of the problem.
- All guests must be occupied with their host (15 West resident). No exceptions. You agree to be solely responsible for the safety and wellbeing of your guest and yourself. You understand that RISD does not provide supervision, instruction, or assistance for the use of the facilities and equipment.
- You and your guest agree to comply with all rules imposed by the RISD regarding the use of the facilities and equipment.
- All gym bags and personal items need to be left in your residential room. If you have a guest, then their items should be left in your room. You understand and agree that RISD is not responsible for any property that is lost, stolen, or damaged while in, on, or about the premises.
Please see the 15 West Fitness Center Rules HERE
Please immediately report any faulty or damaged equipment to a staff member by emailing email@example.com. Please include a picture of the broken machine with a description of the problem.